Wednesday 15 February 2012

It's all about Afternoon Tea

Well, it's a month since the last blog - I'm so rubbish!!! After much list-making, soul searching, and cake baking I thought it best to blog about something I'm REALLY passionate about, and that is..... Afternoon Tea!!

I love the teapot, the leaf strainer, the debate of milk in first or not, the cake stands, the sponge cake - you name it, if it's part of the ritual of Afternoon Tea I will LOVE it!

Since last October I've taken it upon myself to test different establishments in the Northwest of England and their Afternoon Tea offering! All in the name of helping the people of the UK pick the best places to visit. There's nothing worse than looking forward to your Afternoon Tea, to find that the cakes are dry, there's no tea cups, only mugs and the sandwiches are a bit soggy!!

It is my aim, through this blog, to help and assist you in choosing the right place for your Afternoon Tea. Some people like the cake stands, with patisserie and scones, while others like the sandwich and victoria sponge cake option. It all depends on what your aim is - is it a gift to someone, a treat to yourself, or just somewhere to stop off during a day trip!

From this day forward I pledge my allegiance to report on all manner of Afternoon Tea stops..... The first being Two Birds Tea Room at Heskin Hall - http://www.heskinfarmersmarket.co.uk/the-two-birds-tea-room/
This is a great place to visit, with a brilliant butchers, and small farm shop. Heskin Hall offers different craft stalls, art gallery, antiques and the Two Birds Tea Room. So, what better place to start with the Tea Room Taste Test....
The Afternoon Tea offering is a pot of tea (made with tea bags, so no strainer needed), 2 triangle sandwiches (which I think are about the size of 1 slice of bread cut in half) along with some salad and crisps and a slice of cake of your choice. I was joined by my Taste Tester (my mum!) and we tried the lemon drizzle cake and victoria sponge cake. We couldn't fault the taste of the sandwiches or the cakes, it just lacked "Afternoon Tea Tradition". There was an option of scones with jam and cream instead of the cakes, but no cake stand. If you want a delicious lunch with lovely sponge cake then this is the place to visit, but if it's the Afternoon Tea Experience you want - for example if you're treating someone for a prezzie - then maybe buy them something from one of the fantastic shops that are with Heskin Hall!!

A.T.E. (Afternoon Tea Experience) 1/5
T.R.T.T. (Tea Room Taste Test) 4/5 (I'm greedy so would've liked more sandwiches!!)

So there you have my first Tea Room Taste Taste - long may it continue :D

No comments:

Post a Comment